Jessie's Recipe: Plant-based Caramel
Happy Monday! Hope everyday had a great weekend! Jessie is kicking off this week with some deliciously smooth caramel! It’s perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth and is also great for adding to other treats! What’s even better about it is that it’s plant-based and Upright oatmilk friendly! Learn how to make this at home by following Jessie along in the kitchen!
What you'll need:
- Medium heavy-duty saucepan (avoid using non-stick)
- High heat resistant rubber spatula or wooden spoon
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup Upright Instant Oatmilk, original
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat granulated sugar in a medium heavy-duty saucepan (avoid using non-stick) over medium heat, stirring constantly with a high heat resistant rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Sugar will form clumps and eventually melt into a thick brown, amber-colored liquid as you continue to stir. Be careful not to burn it.
- Once sugar is completely melted, immediately stir in the butter until melted and combined. Be careful in this step because the caramel will bubble rapidly when the butter is added. If you notice the butter separating or if the sugar clumps up, remove from heat and vigorously whisk to combine it again.
- After the butter has melted and combined with the caramelized sugar, cook for 1 minute without stirring.
- Very slowly stir the Upright oat milk. After all the oat milk has been added, stop stirring and allow to boil for 1 minute. It will rise in the pan as it boils. Add in the vanilla extract.
Remove from heat and stir in the salt. Allow to slightly cool down before using. Caramel thickens as it cools.
We hope you enjoyed making this delicious caramel! Stay tuned for more recipes from Jessie!
🛒Shop here for more delicious Upright Oatmilk!
Recipe adapted from @bootleg_avocado